The obelisk, raised in 1937 by the population at the initiative of Astra and dedicated to the memory of Horea, Cloşca and Crisan, the leaders of the rebellion from 1784-1785, is situated in front of the third gate of Alba Carolina. It was inaugurated on October 14, 1937 in the presence of King Charles II of Romania and Mihai, voivode of Alba Iulia, then 16 years old.
The monument was made by the sculptor Iosif Fekete and the architect Octavian Mihaltan. It has a height of 22.5 m and inside the socket there is a symbolic cell with the inscription: Directed Worship to Horea, Closca and Crişan.
On the eastern side, the monument is guarded by a statue, the winged Victoria, holding a wreath in the hands. On the other side of the obelisk to the west, there is an altar that depicts the three rulers of the rebellion facing the peasants. The vegetal decoration, carved in stone and surrounding them, sketches the map of Romania.